We published this (Stash of £156BILLION in gold bars found
stored in former WWII canteen
(This site translated from the original German)
The gold reserves of potash in the flag
(Merkers Mine) on 8 April 1945
In early 1945, it became clear that the military situation of
the city had become hopeless.
East of the Red Army was approaching rapidly, and from the air let
the constant series of Allied
bombing raids after no
more. At 31 January 1945 suggested that the Minister of Finance, Ernst-Anton Kroigk
before, to shift the government
and the gold and foreign exchange holdings of the Reichsbank to Thuringia. An evacuation of the imperial government refused Hitler, but
not the treasures of the Reichsbank.
On 3 February was also the building of the Reichsbank
several direct hits. For the monetary
authority of the millennium,
this was the signal to make their evacuation
plans Ernst: From 12 February
to 13 March 1945 a special train left with twenty-four
railroad cars, the capital and brought
the most essential part of the gold and currency reserves to Thuringia, where the shaft Kaiseroda II / III were the Wintershall AG stored in flag. The operation
as well as the depot received the secret code "Walrus".
Immediately after this action brought - a
directive from the Reich Chancellery
- also the Berlin State Museums
under their most valuable treasures in the potash mining shafts of flag.
Gate marker of potash 1945
Figure: The "historic"
Gold bunker (area 8) in the flag to the potash
plant opening on 8 April 1945
At 31 March
1945 had the armored units of the XII. Corps reached
the western border of Thuringia,
and there were ten miles west of Eisenach. The
national route Kassel-Eisenach in Thuringia, Hesse tips of their border in the Rhon approached. The operational directives for Patton's
army were aimed at the conquest of the Americans in
the heart of Thuringia suspected German intelligence
center in the area Ohrdruf - Gotha - Erfurt -
Weimar from and also saw a rapid advance
in the Thuringian city of Weimar, the seat of the supreme authorities of the country as also
the key military command posts
of the Reich Defense Commissioner
of Thuringia was.
Ill.: American tanks on the site in April 1945 in
The first units of the
4th Armored Division were
on 1 April at Creuzburg
on the Werra. Erfurt and Weimar were
on 12 April occupied Jena on 13 April taken. Located in the middle of
the front section VIII Corps deployed pushed further into the East Thuringian city
and county, and occupied it until 16 April. The conquest of Thuringia was complete.
Ill.: American soldiers
in the bunker loading work
in gold (Room 8)
At that time, General Patton ordered
to stop after reaching
the line in Meiningen Mühlhausen and Gotha, Ohrdruf, waiting for the unlocking of the First and Ninth
Army. This delayed the advance of the Third Army for several days. On 8 April were the heads of the three corps commanded at the stop line in Thuringia. The occupation of the northern
Thuringian town and rural
districts was after 9 April.
Since the 12th April focused
the advance of American troops
in the area of Erfurt - Weimar - Jena.
On this day, met the
commander of the Allied Streitkräfle,
General Dwight D. Eisenhower, in Thuringia, and visited the flag of potash in
the Rhön there stored
art treasures and gold stocks to be already on the 4th April liberated Ohrdruf camp outside of the Buchenwald concentration camp to take a look.
Ill.: American soldiers under Capt..
Robert Posey (MFAA Officer)
for the inspection of paintings from
the Berlin State Museums in other
routes outside the bunker in the potash mine gold flag
On the morning of 7 April
in the abandoned mines of the flag to make the most incredible discovery soldiers their lives, hundreds of bags and boxes with the
swastika. Inside: gold teeth, gold bullion and - coins, securities,
bank notes and art objects.
The value of the booty: former U.S. Dollar 238.5
million, equivalent today
to approximately 2.5 billion DM. The command in
Eisenach gets immediately
ordered all transported
to Frankfort, where the American occupation troops have their high command.
The prey is to be converted into dollars, and later used to pay off the war reparations and with the help of the Marshall Plan to help Europe back on
Figure: The Generals
Bradley, Patton and Eisenhower in the examination
of historical paintings
Figure: Supreme Allied Commander Eisenhower, along
with Generals Bradley and
Patton inspect art treasures
stolen by the Nazis and hidden
in underground salt mines in the mine, Germany (Photo
credits: U.S. National Archives)
In Frankfurt, the Allies had
created a new Commission, which
led the investigation into
the looting of the Nazis, the Division of
Investigation of Cartels and external assets (DICEA). It was led by U.S. Colonel Bernard Bernstein, the only General Dwight Eisenhower - was
subordinated to - head of
the U.S. Military Government
for Germany (OMGUS). There begins the hitherto unknown part of our history.
Figure: An American soldier
under Capt.. Robert Posey (MFAA Officer) for the inspection of a painting from the Berlin State Museums
in other routes outside
the bunker in the potash mine gold flag
A first unveiling of the succinic colonel, was that the Nazis during the war, the American banks and the
industry were not so hostile to each other as they had always believed.
On the contrary, the connections and interdependence were so large and the corresponding interests of times now so strong that
it was succinic impossible to bring his work to end, for example, the handling of the 238.5 million from the potash mines in the
mine. And so in the end no one knew
how much of the money was now actually
flowed into the Marshall
Plan and how much seeped into other channels.
Figure: General Eisenhower inspected,
along with General Patton
and Bradley, a box of utensils made of gold.
The Reichsbank had hidden, particularly
in the salt mines in gold flag with
a value of about 400 million Reichsmarks. The gold came from
central banks of countries occupied
by Germany, of civilians and victims
of Nazi persecution. By summer,
a large part remained in the Reichsbank
building in Frankfurt in the care of Devisenverwahrstätte
(Foreign Exchange Depository,
FED), a section of the Office of Military Government of the United States (Office of Military Government, United
States, OMGUS). Collected between
1945 and 1948, secured and inventoried
the Fed almost $ 300 million (now
$ 2.9 billion) in gold bullion and gold coins, so they can
be distributed to various countries.
Figure: A GI guarded
boxes each with 200,000
After the war, the Americans won insights
about as sophisticated program for transferring the Reichsbank
gold and valuables from victims of concentration camps on German
official accounts. The Riksbank
established the account
"Melmer" one, named
after the SS Captain
Bruno Melmer, on the SS looted
gold and other assets of Holocaust victims and other civilians deposited. Although it remained unclear
how many deaths in the German gold reserve gold flowed, so did
but the discovery of gold mines in the flag-1945, a
clue. There is clear evidence that gold, which deprived the Nazis of civilians and concentration camp inmates
from the Reichsbank taken systematically classified, sold, pledged, deposited or converted and melted down, and reopened as gold bullion in the
monetary gold reserve reached, together with looted gold from the rest of Europe. The melted gold SS differed not externally by the bullion came from looting the banks.
Source: Greg Bradsher, Nazi Gold: The flag Treasure Mine, National Archives at
College Park, Spring 1999
General Omar N. Bradley, A Soldier's Story, Page